History pieces of the weekend

This weekend’s Centre d’histoire piece goes back to 1959, and the visit of the Queen and Prince Philip to open the Seaway, and having a procession up Beaver Hall Hill. The item mentions Beaver Hall as the house constructed by Joseph Frobisher, but doesn’t give the dates the house existed – built 1792, burned down in 1847 or 1848 (depending on your source). That’s a long time ago for a street to still be named after the building.

Beaver Hall, from an old engraving, via Wikipedia.
Not surprisingly, there are no photos of the house.

The theme of ceremonial visits carries through the Gazette pieces this week: a 1962 visit from the Queen Mother; from Lord Byng, governor-general of the early 1920s, as he was winding up his term in Canada; and from Harry Truman after WWII.

Radio-Canada has some archive video showing early adherents of yoga in Montreal in 1962, a look at the 150-year history of the SPCA and a detailed look at a TV show called Femme d’aujourd’hui which ran on the station from 1965 to 1982.

They also have the history of a relatively forgotten electrical engineer named Augustin Frigon, who helped design the original Radio-Canada network and gave it its name.